As Greg McNeal noted, the Senate Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Human Rights is holding a hearing this afternoon on the targeted killing program entitled "Drone Wars: The Constitutional and Counterterrorism Implications of Targeted Killing."
Members of the Senate Judiciary Committee were recently all allowed access to the Office of Legal Counsel memos laying out the legal justification for killing senior operational leaders of Al Qaeda who are U.S. citizens.
Here's the list of witnesses for today's hearing:
- General James Cartwright, United States Marine Corp (Ret.)
- Farea Al-Muslimi, Sana’a, Yemen
- Peter Bergen, Director, National Security Studies Program, New America Foundation
- Rosa Brooks, Professor of Law, Georgetown University Law Center
- Colonel Martha McSally, United States Air Force (Ret.)
- Ilya Somin, Professor of Law, George Mason University School of Law
Senator Leahy's opening statement is available here.
I will add any written testimony by the witnesses to this post if and when they become available.
[This post was updated on April 24 to link to witness testimony]