ChinaTalk: Twilight Struggle: Cold War Lessons for US-China Today
Hal Brands (@HalBrands), professor at the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies, is the author of The Twilight Struggle: What the Cold War Teaches Us about Great-Power Rivalry Today. Along with co-host Emily Jin @ew_jin) of the Center for a New American Security (CNAS), we discuss:
- How the US capitalized on Soviet heavy-handedness in the developing world
- How technology impacted the broader trajectory of the Cold War
- The US’s never-ending cycles of self-confidence and self-doubt
- Today’s Sinologists versus Cold War Sovietologists
- Why the only person who can stop the war in Ukraine is the one who started it
Click here to listen to ChinaTalk in your favorite podcast app.
Outro music: Nancy by Ak Benjamin ft. Marz23
CHECK OUT THE CHINATALK SUBSTACK!
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices