Adam Tooze is my favorite economic historian. After writing a handful of books on the 1920s and Nazi economics, he's now turned his eye to the present day, taking on the financial crisis and US-China relations. In this conversation, we get into
- What we can learn from the diplomatic and economic modes of 1920s and 30s
- Why Nazi legal theory resonates so well in China today
- How modes of understanding Nazi Germany can help illustrate China
- How Xinjiang camps echo the logic of Soviet gulags
- Whether the US in fact lost the Cold War
- Adam's dream bureaucracies to work it
Matt Klein, author of the recent Trade Wars are Class Wars, guest hosts.